f you are compiling stk yourself note that it is recommended to use the current "1.7 stable" irrlicht branch, see http://irrlicht.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/irrlicht/branches/releases/1.7 (which will become the next 1.7.2 release). While STK mostly still works with irrlicht 1.7.1, bugs in this irrlicht version can result in some texts not being displayed, and even in crashes (mostly in menus though).
This version shows very much work in progress, but we are getting closer to a release candidate. Hopefully this will motivate some artists to help us port/create a few more tracks, while we are busy fixing bugs and tuning some settings.
Particularly, behold the new track I (Auria) have been working on lately : the farm track
Known bugs or issues are:
- Many challenges and GPs will be unavailable due to not-yet-converted tracks.
- The 'networking' menu is used to test the win/lose GP and unlocking animations. There is no networking support in 0.7 alpha 3 (nor will there be any in 0.7).
- Not all tracks have collectibles.
- AI needs tweaks, it does too good a job with slipstreaming, and on the other hand doesn't handle multiple items good enough.
- Disabling or enabling sound effects may require to restart STK for the change to apply correctly.
- Switching to windowed mode from fullscreen may fail on linux.
- If you build with irrlicht 1.7.1, you may get an empty race paused screen and/or a broken "feature unlocked" screen.
- If you do not exactly cross the lap line your lap may not be counted.
- If you add too many AI karts, the race may not start properly.
- In the kart selection screen, large karts might get clipped on sides.
- Kart animations not complete.
- The game may not allow you to configure bindings for gamepads other than the first one.
- The "slipstream" (follow behind a kart for a while with the slipstream effect showing, and you will get a zipper-like boost) and quick-start feature (press start very quickly _after_ 'GO') need tweaks.
We are looking forward to feedback, bug reports (please check with our bug tracker at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=202302&atid=981038 first), suggestions (though we are pretty much feature frozen for 0.7), and some contributions :)